IMPROPER MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS
Experienced Attorneys for Medical Malpractice in St. Louis
If you or a family member has suffered the consequences of negligent medical treatment and an improper medical diagnosis in Greater St. Louis, elsewhere in Missouri, or in southern Illinois, contact an experienced medical malpractice lawyer at the law firm of Devereaux, Stokes, Fernandez & Leonard. We have resolved hundreds of medical negligence claims in favor of our clients since 1976.
In 2002 the Missouri Court of Appeals upheld a multi-million dollar verdict we obtained on behalf of our client, Matthew Scott, in a medical negligence action. The medical insurance companies and hospitals did not like the law we helped establish in this case. The “Scott” case became a lightning rod for the defense and led to lobbying efforts on the part of malpractice insurers to restrict the right of injured patients and surviving families to recover damages.
Experience. Integrity. Results. Call 314-433-9131 or toll free 866-285-4611
In 2005, the state of Missouri enacted “tort reform” laws that make it much more difficult for a victim of medical negligence to receive compensation. Although the current state of the law is no longer as favorable to plaintiffs and their families as it once was, our skilled and experienced attorneys can still work toward realizing the maximum value of your claim through painstaking and insightful investigation of the facts and thoroughly documenting proof of your actual physical and economic losses. In the worst cases of surgical error or hospital negligence, where the victim faces a lifetime of disability and continuing treatment or rehabilitative needs, we achieving outstanding results for our clients through our ability to document specific long-term consequences and expenses, even under the current law.
Examples of improper medical treatment that we can help resolve through a malpractice lawsuit include the following:
- Mistakes in surgery ranging from inadvertent trauma to a vital duct or organ to leaving sponges or surgical instruments in the patient’s body cavity
- Medication errors such as prescribing the wrong drug, administering it in the wrong dose, or failure to consider allergies or drug interactions
- Failure to monitor a patient’s condition and vital signs during delivery of a baby, postoperative recovery, or in emergency room settings
- Failure to check a patient’s medical records before undertaking a course of treatment
At Devereaux, Stokes, Fernandez & Leonard, our past success in medical malpractice litigation allows us to commit the investigative and forensic resources necessary to develop and present your case to its maximum persuasive effect. We work with a team of experienced and respected doctors, many of whom are published and leaders in their field, to make sure that the jury understands the complicated medical issues in your case. We advance the costs of the lawsuit, and we only recover an attorney’s fee in the event we resolve the case in your favor.
Each of our lawyers is an AV-rated* trial attorney under the Martindale-Hubbell peer review rating system. To learn more about our ability to help you recover damages in a case of negligent medical treatment, contact our office in St. Louis for a free consultation.
* CV, BV, and AV are registered certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties, Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards, and policies. Martindale-Hubbell is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the confidential opinions of members of the Bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell Ratings evaluate two categories–legal ability and general ethical standards.