Birth injuries can be life-altering tragedies for the baby and family that will be taking care of that child for the rest of their life. If your child has suffered an injury during delivery and you think it was due to a mistake or negligence, it’s important to hire an experienced birth injury lawyer.
Birth injuries are some of the most devastating cases we deal with because they involve injuries to a baby that can result in death or a lifelong disability. Fetal distress that’s ignored or not handled appropriately can have devastating consequences if it results in a lack of oxygen to the baby’s brain. This can result in a hypoxic brain injury or a condition called cerebral palsy, which can affect not only the child’s cognitive abilities, but also his or her ability to walk or use their arms.
Our Birth Injury Team at Fernandez Law have been dealing with personal injury and medical malpractice cases, including labor and delivery errors and birth injuries, for over 30 years. We work closely with medical experts, rehabilitative medicine consultants and life care planners, as well as victims and their families to help them get the compensation they deserve and will be needed to take care of their child. We handle birth injury cases in the greater St. Louis-area, throughout Missouri and across the United States.
Contact us or call 314-433-9131 to speak with a lawyer.
What can a birth injury lawyer investigate?
There are many factors that can lead to a birth injury. Our lawyer will approach your case from all angles and find answers to these important questions:
- Was failure to diagnose preeclampsia a factor?
- Did the mother suffer a stroke or embolism, or die, during or soon after birth because of an undiagnosed or improperly managed condition such as gestational diabetes?
- Where there signs of fetal distress that were disregarded?
- Was a delayed C-Section a cause of a birth injury?
- Did the OB/GYN fail to anticipate the need for a C-section despite warning signs present during prenatal care?
- Did an ectopic pregnancy go undetected long enough to lead to injury to the mother?
- Were the mother and baby properly evaluated in their prenatal visits?
- Was the labor and delivery performed in the proper manner?
Once we determine the cause of a birth injury, we will further investigate to ensure liable parties are held responsible for their actions.
There are certain medical conditions that can be directly caused by problems during the birth of a child, including:
- Cerebral palsy
- Erbs palsy
- Lifelong physical or motor deficits
- Lifelong brain damage
- Hypoxic or Anoxic Brain Injury
- Nerve Damage
- Cognitive impairment or mental or emotional development issues
- Learning disabilities
- Spina bifida
- Strangulation by the umbilical cord
It’s important to hire a birth injury attorney to examine all medical records and evaluate the standard of care to discover any medical errors.
For comprehensive information on birth injuries, visit Birth Injury Guide, an advocacy group for those facing these types of situations.
Whatever your baby’s (or the mother’s) particular circumstances and injuries, contact us at the St. Louis, Missouri, law offices of Fernandez Law to schedule a free consultation with a birth injury lawyer. We offer free initial consultations. Se habla español.